PROVO, Utah — The Lewis University men’s volleyball team lost in four sets to host Brigham Young University, 3-1, at Smith Fieldhouse, Saturday (Jan. 7).
(RV) BYU (2-0) | No. 14 Lewis (0-2)
Kills: Max Roquet (Johnston, Iowa/Johnston) (10)
Digs: Jason Gibbs (Bellaire, Texas/Bellarie) (4)
Assists: Tyler Morgan (Dike, Iowa/New Hartford) (34)
Blocks: Morgan (4)
Aces: Cole Brillhart (York, Pa./Northeastern) (1), Antonio Rodriguez-Elias (Naranjito, Puerto Rico/Colegio Sagrada Familia) (1)
FIRST SET: BYU 25, Lewis 20
- Both teams each scored six points to start the opening set.
- BYU rallied for three straight to grab a 9-6 lead.
- Moments later in the match, Lewis responded and tied the match at 13-all.
- The Cougars went on another rally before Christian Prayer (St. Louis, Mo./Parkway North) recorded a kill to keep them in the game.
- BYU ended up winning the first set 25-20.
SECOND SET: Lewis 25, BYU 23
- Lewis jumped out to a early 6-3 lead after a service ace by Elias-Rodriguez.
- BYU had the answer and scored three straight to tie the set at 6-6.
- Both teams would trade points back-and-forth before BYU went up 16-14 then the Flyers scored three in a row to go up 17-16.
- Brillhart then put the Flyers ahead 21-18 after recording a kill.
- The Cougars eventually tied it at 23 a piece before Lewis scored back-to-back points including a kill by Michael Sack (Oak Lawn, Ill./St. Laurence) which won the set.
THIRD SET: BYU 25, Lewis 17
- BYU went up 8-4 to start the third…