COLUMBIA, S.C. – South Carolina beach volleyball head coach Moritz Moritz announced the Gamecocks’ spring schedule, the 10th season of competition for the program. Across the 30-game schedule, the Gamecocks will face eight of the 16 teams that made up the 2022 NCAA tournament field and 12 matches against teams that finished last season ranked in the American Volleyball Coaches Association’s (AVCA) Top-20 poll.
The Gamecocks are coming off a 20-12 record in 2022, the sixth consecutive full season with at least 20 wins, and the team is on a streak of 59 polls in a row ranked nationally. Individually, three Gamecocks who won 20 matches return to the lineup – Lauren Wilcock, Kaeli Crews and Hannah Mackenhausen – and in the offseason the roster was bolstered by another strong recruiting class and a trio of transfers – Allison Coens (LSU), Rebeca Olariu (College of Charleston) and Simone Priebe (Pepperdine).
The season opens on the road with the Seminole Beach Bash, hosted by Florida State. The first day of competition features duals against Cal Poly and FIU on Saturday, Feb. 25, with duals against Washington and the host Seminoles on Saturday.
- Cal Poly leads the all-time series, 2-0 ( Since 2019). In the last meeting, the Mustangs won, 4-1 (February 22, 2020).
- Both previous meetings between the two sides have come in opening game of the season, coincidentally both were also played in Tallahassee.
- Cal Poly finished the 2022 season ranked 10th nationally, qualifying for the NCAA tournament and finishing with a 23-17 overall record.
- South Carolina leads the all-time series, 6-5 ( Since 2014). In the last meeting, the Gamecocks won, 4-1 (February 27, 2021).
- The Gamecocks won four straight in the series, from 2016-17, then have split the last four meetings.
- FIU finished the 2022 season ranked 16th nationally with a 22-11 overall record.
- This will be the first meeting between the two programs.
- South Carolina is no stranger to PAC-12 competition, Washington will be the fifth member of the conference the Gamecocks have faced all-time and is one of three PAC-12 schools on the schedule this spring. The Gamecocks have a combined record of 5-5 against PAC-12 schools in program history.
- Washington finished 12-20 in 2022 under a new head coach, in the fall their top pair finished fourth overall at the AVCA Pairs National Championship.