LOS ANGELES – In a close dual that saw three courts go to three sets, Sun Devil Beach Volleyball came up just short to No. 7 Stanford, falling 3-2 to wrap up their time at the Pac-12 South Tournament on Sunday morning at Mapes Beach.
Arizona State (4-3, 2-2 Pac-12) hung with a top-10 opponent in Stanford (8-3), taking the matches on courts one and four. ASU also went to three sets on court five, coming up just short 15-12 in that third set.
The freshman pair of Adriana Nieves Papaleo and Carys Thomas continue to impress. After dropping their opening set, they came back to win in three, a close 15-13 win in the third. They have the most wins on the team with a 6-1 record.
Like the fours, senior Lexi Sweeney and junior Kylie Wickley battled from behind to win in the third set on court one. They improve to 4-3 on the year.
Final Results (Order of Finish: 2, 4, 5, 3*, 1)
- Lexi Sweeney/Kylie Wickley (ASU) def. Ekstrom/Reilly (STAN) 19-21, 21-15, 15-13
- Hodel/Kriz (STAN) def. Taryn Ames/Sarah Waters (ASU) 21-11, 21-14
- Belardi/Vincent (STAN) def. Anya Pemberton/Ivey Weber (ASU) 21-18, 21-15
- Adriana Nieves Papaleo/Carys Thomas (ASU) def. Andersson/Maya (STAN) 13-21, 21-16, 15-13
- Doucet/Sharp (STAN) def. Kate Fitzgerald/Rylie Kael (ASU) 22-20, 14-21, 15-12
The Sand Devils are off next weekend. The following weekend, March 17-18, the team will compete at the Canyon Classic at Grand Canyon.
Click Here to Read the Full Original Article at Arizona State University Athletics…