PISCATAWAY, N.J. – On a night where the Scarlet Knight seniors were recognized, senior middle Kristina Grkovic became Rutgers’ rally-era season and career blocks leader, as RU battled Michigan State to five sets on Saturday night at the College Ave Gym.
Rutgers took a 2-0 lead behind 25-20 and 25-17 victories, but Michigan State battled back to force a fifth and deciding set taking 25-17 and 25-13 wins in sets three and four. Even at 9-9 midway through the fifth set, the Spartans used a late surge for a 15-10 final set victory and the win.
- Senior Kristina Grkovic became Rutgers’ rally-era leader in career and season solo blocks. She totaled five blocks on the evening with her lone solo stop giving her 41 in her four seasons “On The Banks” and 19 on the season.
- Rutgers finished with three Scarlet Knights in double-figure kills led by 13 from sophomore Taylor Humphrey.
- Redshirt sophomore Alissa Kinkela notched her sixth double-double of the year behind 11 kills and 10 digs.
- Fifth-year senior Alyssa Nayar put up 39 helpers to move closer to the 3,000 career assist mark. She needs 46 more assists to reach the milestone.
- Senior Madyson Chitty had a team-high 11 digs while freshman Zora Hardison also made five blocks, including two solo rejections.