AUSTIN, Texas — The No. 15 Lewis University men’s volleyball team took the first set before Stanford won three straight to win the match in four, 3-1, during the first day of the First Point Collegiate Challenge Friday.
No. 8 Stanford (5-0) | No. 15 Lewis (3-3)
Kills: Max Roquet (Johnston, Iowa/Johnston) (18), Christian Prayer (St. Louis, Mo./Parkway North) (11)
Digs: Cole Brillhart (York, Pa./Northeastern) (8)
Assists: Kevin Kauling (Naperville, Ill./Neuqua Valley) (37)
Blocks: Michael Sack (Oak Lawn, Ill./St. Laurence) (3)
Aces: Antonio Rodriguez-Elias (Naranjito, Puerto Rico/Colegio Sagrada Familia) (1)
FIRST SET: Lewis 26, Stanford 24
- Stanford led 6-1 early in the first set before a kill by Prayer as the Flyers looked to get back in the set.
- The Cardinal led 10-3 in the set before Lewis scored five straight points capped off by a kill from Cole Brillhart (York, Pa./Northeastern) made it 10-8 Stanford.
- Stanford would hold onto their sizeable lead for most of the first set.
- The Cardinal led 23-20 late in the opening set before Lewis went on a 6-1 rally for the comeback victory which was capped off by kills from Prayer and Roquet to go up 1-0.
SECOND SET: Stanford 25, Lewis 23
- Both teams each traded five points to start the second set before Stanford went on a rally to go up 10-7.
- Lewis tried to crawl back into the set after a kill by Michael Sack (Oak Lawn, Ill./St. Laurence) but the Cardinal held onto their lead.
- Roquet kept the Flyers alive after recording a…