PITTSBURGH – The No. 7 Pitt volleyball team (21-4, 12-2 ACC) travels to Atlanta this Friday to play No. 8 Georgia Tech (21-3, 12-2 ACC). First serve is at 5 p.m. and can be streamed on ACC Network.
The Panthers lead the series against Georgia Tech 13-2 and have won three straight matches. Most recently, Pitt defeated the Yellow Jackets at the Fitzgerald Field House in early October. The Panthers saw themselves down 0-2 and were able to complete the reverse sweep to take the win, 3-2. Freshman Olivia Babcock recorded a career-high 19 kills, along with six digs, five blocks and three aces. The Panthers held Georgia Tech to a .167 hitting percentage and out blocked them 14-6.
Valeria Vazquez Gomez registered a career-high 22 kills against the Yellow Jackets in 2022 in a dramatic five set victory.
PITT UPENDS “THE U”
• The Panthers defeated Miami 3-1 in closely contested sets on Sunday.
• Rachel Fairbanks registered a career-high 48 assists in the match and led Pitt to 55 kills.
• Olivia Babcock was one off her career-high, notching 18 kills along with a career-high four aces and eight digs.
VVG IS BACK!
• The 2022 AVCA Second Team All-American has announced that she will return next season for her final year of eligibility.
• Vazquez Gomez is currently second in digs and aces and third in kills.
• She has totaled 789 kills, 745 digs, 82 aces and 80 assists.
• The Panthers are currently third in the nation in opponent hitting percentage, holding teams
to an average .138.
• The combination of Pitt’s block and backcourt defense has been tough to stop this season, and it has held 11 opponents to less than a .100 hitting percentage.
• Emma Monks and Chiamaka Nwokolo impress defensively, but they are currently top 15 in the
nation in hitting efficiency.
• Nwokolo sits at third with a .449 clip while Monks is 15th with a .414 percentage.
• The Pitt Panthers are currently first in the nation in blocks per set (3.05).
• Chiamaka Nwokolo, Rachel Jepsen, Olivia Babcock and Emma Monks have all registered at least six blocks in a match so far this season.
• Emma Monks is currently fourth in the nation in blocks per set (1.54) while Chiamaka…