LOS ANGELES – Sun Devil Beach Volleyball started the Pac-12 South Tournament with a 4-1 win against Utah before falling to the host team No. 1 UCLA on Saturday.
Arizona State (4-2, 2-1 Pac-12) split the opening day of the tournament in Los Angeles. Two duos improved to 5-1 on the year: Taryn Ames and Sarah Waters, as well as the freshman pair of Adriana Nieves Papaleo and Carys Thomas.
Game One: ASU 4, Utah 1
The Sun Devils took care of business in the first dual, beating the Utes 4-1. ASU had the early advantage after winning the matches on courts two and four in the first wave. The No. 3 and 5 pairs followed suit, with Kate Fitzgerald and Rylie Kael clinching the win on court five.
Final Results (Order of Finish: 2, 4, 5*, 1, 3)
- McAlister/Messier (UTAH) def. Lexi Sweeney/Kylie Wickley (ASU) 21-16, 21-17
- Taryn Ames/Sarah Waters (ASU) def. Andrews/Vezzani (UTAH) 21-13, 17-21, 15-9
- Anya Pemberton/Ivey Weber (ASU) def. Karich/Koch (UTAH) 21-9, 21-13
- Adriana Nieves Papaleo/Carys Thomas (ASU) def. Jacinto/Pitzak (UTAH) 21-23, 21-19, 15-11
- Kate Fitzgerald/Rylie Kael (ASU) def. Cottam/Wessel (UTAH) 21-14, 21-12
Game Two: UCLA 5, ASU 0
The team battled in a few close sets, but the home team won the dual in straight sets across all courts.
Final Results (Order of Finish: 2, 4, 1*, 5, 3)
- Denaburg/A. Van Winkle (UCLA) def. Lexi Sweeney/Kylie Wickley (ASU) 21-19, 21-17
- Boyd/Newberry (UCLA) def. Taryn Ames/Sarah Waters (ASU) 21-12, 21-15
- Brennan/T. Van Winkle (UCLA) def. Anya Pemberton/Ivey Weber (ASU) 21-11, 21-15
- Hallgren/Powers (UCLA) def. Adriana Nieves Papaleo/Carys Thomas (ASU) 21-11, 23-23
- Monserez/Whitmarsh (UCLA) def. Kate Fitzgerald/Rylie Kael (ASU) 21-17, 21-15
ASU will wrap up their time at the Pac-12 South Tournament with a matchup against No. 7 Stanford at 9 a.m. MST tomorrow.
Click Here to Read the Full Original Article at Arizona State University Athletics…