BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – The Presidents and Chancellors of the Southeastern Conference approved future regular season schedule and/or post-season championship formats for seven Southeastern Conference sports during a meeting at the SEC Men’s Basketball Tournament in Nashville last week. The future formats were approved in preparation for the addition of Oklahoma and Texas to the SEC beginning with the 2024-25 athletic year.
The approved sports formats included regular season and/or post-season championships in baseball, gymnastics, men’s and women’s swimming & diving, men’s and women’s indoor track & field and volleyball. Among the approved post-season championships is the revival of an SEC Volleyball Tournament which has not been held since the 2005 season.
Regular season schedule and championship formats have previously been approved in men’s basketball, women’s basketball, soccer, men’s and women’s tennis and softball. The current regular season and championship formats in the sports of men’s and women’s cross country, equestrian, men’s and women’s golf and men’s and women’s outdoor track & field accommodate the addition of Oklahoma and Texas without additional adjustments. Still to be determined are regular season formats in football and volleyball and the post-season tournament format in baseball.
- Regular season: Each season a team will play a three-game series against two permanent opponents and eight rotating opponents, for a total of 30 conference games. Standings will be kept in a single-division format.
- SEC Baseball Tournament: Format to be determined.
- Regular season: Each school sponsoring a gymnastics team will meet each other member institution at least once a year on an alternating home and away basis, consistent with the current process. An additional week will be required to accommodate nine teams.
- SEC Gymnastics Championships: The championship will move from a one-day event to a two-day format and consist of two sessions of four teams each. The top seed will receive a bye to the championship. The two session winners plus next high score will also advance to championship.
Swimming & Diving (Men’s and Women’s)
- Regular season: The Conference Office will schedule two dual meets per program and each institution is responsible for establishing the…
Click Here to Read the Full Original Article at Texas A&M Athletics – 12thMan.com…