TUCSON, Ariz. – The Sun Devil Beach Volleyball squad took care of business on Saturday, beating Colorado Mesa 4-1 before sweeping UTEP to wrap up the Cactus Classic.
Arizona State (3-1, 1-0 Pac-12) had a solid start to the season with two pairs going a perfect 4-0. Junior Taryn Ames and senior Sarah Waters played at the No. 2 spot today after playing on court three on Friday. They have yet to lose a set. Another perfect pair is the freshman duo of Adriana Nieves Papaleo and Carys Thomas. They played on court five all weekend until moving up to No. 4 against UTEP.
Waters and fellow senior Lexi Sweeney both moved into a tie for 10th in the record book for career wins. They both have 33 total wins.
Game One: ASU 4, CMU 1
Against the Maveriks, the Sun Devils had three matches go to three sets. The No. 2 and 5 pairs took care of business, winning in straight sets. On court one, Lexi Sweeney and Kylie Wickley won their third set. Anya Pemberton and Ivey Weber won theirs as well on court three.
Final Results (Order of Finish: 5, 2, 1*, 3, 4)
- Lexi Sweeney/Kylie Wickley (ASU) def. Lachemann/Schmidt (CMU) 17-21, 21-16, 15-11
- Taryn Ames/Sarah Waters (ASU) def. Johnson/Spitzer (CMU) 21-15, 21-17
- Anya Pemberton/Ivey Weber (ASU) def. Hall/Spresser (CMU) 21-18, 19-21, 15-12
- Wedhorn/VanDeList (CMU) def. Kate Fitzgerald/Rylie Kael (CMU) 24-22, 15-21, 15-12
- Adriana Nieves Papaleo/Carys Thomas (ASU) def. Ott/Peters (CMU) 21-8, 21-14
Game Two: ASU 5, UTEP 0
All five pairs took care of business in the last dual of the weekend, sweeping every match for the first team sweep of the season. The clinch came from Ames and Waters, who won their first set 21-8. All matches wrapped up close together for an efficient dual.
Final Results (Order of Finish: 4, 1, 2*, 3, 5)
- Lexi Sweeney/Kylie Wickley (ASU) def. Paegle/Martin (UTEP) 21-13, 21-16
- Taryn Ames/Sarah Waters (ASU) def. Uskokovic/Pustahija (UTEP) 21-8, 21-16
- Anya Pemberton/Ivey Weber (ASU) def. Marenco/Patterson (UTEP) 21-13, 21-11
- Adriana Nieves Papaleo/Carys Thomas (ASU) def. Austin/Acuna (UTEP) 21-14, 21-10
- Kate Fitzgerald/Rylie Kael (ASU) def. Hill/Ovalle (UTEP) 24-22, 21-14
Arizona State will compete in the Pac-12 South Tournament at UCLA next weekend, March 4-5. ASU will face Utah, UCLA and Stanford
Click Here to Read the Full Original Article at Arizona State University Athletics…