NEW YORK, N.Y. – Rutgers volleyball is out to its best start since 2012 as the Scarlet Knights improved to 7-1 with a 3-1 victory over Columbia at Levien Gymnasium on Saturday.
While the host Lions took the first at 25-23, the Scarlet Knights roared back with 27-25, 25-14, 25-23 set victories as Alissa Kinkela captured the fifth-best hitting percentage in a match in school history.
Columbia dropped to 2-5 on the season.
- Rutgers had a trio in double-figure kills led by redshirt sophomore Alissa Kinkela’s match-high 18. The Melbourne, Australia native hit .630 over the four sets with 18 kills on 27 attempts with only one error. Senior Kristina Grkovic and sophomore Bekah Williams both had 11 kills.
- Adding to RU’s offensive output was redshirt junior Chelsea Harvey with 36 assists.
- Redshirt sophomore Rikki Williams totaled six blocks in the win to go along with nine kills.
- Senior Madyson Chitty was shy of double-digit digs with nine as she continues to approach the 1,000 career dig mark.
- Set 1 (23-25) | The opening frame was deadlocked 11 times, the final time at 23-23 before Columbia went up 1-0. Neither team held more than a three-point edge in the battle. Alissa Kinekla hit .714 with five kills on seven swings and no errors from the right pin. Kinkela and Rikki Williams each had a pair of blocks.
- Set 2 (27-25) | Alissa Kinkela continued to dominate the right pin as she collected her 10th kill of the night on set point…