PISCATAWAY, N.J. – Rutgers volleyball opened Friday night’s game with Indiana with a 25-21 victory but it was the Hoosiers coming back for 25-20, 25-18, 25-18 set wins for the match.
The win improved Indiana to 17-9 overall and 7-6 in the Big Ten. Rutgers dropped to 10-13 overall and 2-11 in league play.
- Redshirt sophomore Alissa Kinkela and sophomore Taylor Humphrey led the attack with 10 kills each.
- Fifth-year senior Alissa Nayar notched her 10th double-double of the season and 31st of her career behind 37 assists and 12 digs.
- Senior Madyson Chitty collected her 10th match of the year with 20 or more digs with a match-high 20.
- Rutgers totaled 17 blocks led by senior Kristina Grkovic with six stops. Both Grkovic and freshman Anna Hartman had two solo blocks each.
- Set 1 (25-21) | Rutgers never trailed in the opening frame as Bekah Williams served up an ace to give Rutgers a 7-2 opening prompting a Hoosier timeout. The visitors came out of the break to outscore RU 6-2 to narrow its deficit to two, but it was still Rutgers ahead at 10-8. The Scarlet Knights followed by scoring four unanswered including an ace from Kinkela to grow its lead to six. A Kinkela kill also saw RU up by six late at 22-16. Taylor Humphrey and Kristina Grkovic both collected a trio of kills. The Scarlet Knights came up with seven total blocks as Anna Hartman posted a pair of solo stops. The Hoosiers swung a match-low .122.
- Set 2…