SOUTH BEND, Ind. – The Notre Dame Fighting Irish are back in action this weekend as they face the Toledo Rockets in a home-and-home match up on Friday and Sunday. The Irish (4-2) will host the Rockets on Friday, September 15 in Purcell Pavilion and then hit the road as they play at Toledo (2-7) on Sunday, September 17 in Savage Arena.
A WEEK IN REVIEW
- The Fighting Irish are undefeated at home after an exciting 2-0 weekend in Purcell Pavilion. Notre Dame won the Irish Invitational (Sept. 7-9) as they defeated the Illinois Illini and Oklahoma Sooners.
- The Irish took down the Illini in straight sets on Thursday, Sept. 7, winning 25-21, 25-19, 25-22. On Saturday, it was a five set thriller inside of Purcell as they defeated Oklahoma 27-29, 25-21, 14-25, 25-22, 18-16.
- Libero Hattie Monson and setter Nicole Drewnick were named to the Irish Invitational All-Tournament Team and Sydney Palazzolo was named the Irish Invitational MVP.
- Sydney Palazzolo finished with 15 kills in the win over the Illini and matched a career high 25 kills on Sunday against Oklahoma, tallying 40 kills on the weekend and averaging five kills a set. She is currently leading the ACC with 4.56 kills per set this season and is also leading the conference with 5.24 points per set.
- Nicole Drewnick dished out 81 assists on the weekend, averaging 10.13 assists per set. Lauren Tarnoff’s defense at the net was an important piece for the Irish as she tallied 11 blocks, including two solo blocks. Freshman Ava Lange had herself a weekend as well with 22 kills across both matches.
HISTORY VS. TOLEDO
- This will be the seventh meeting between the Irish and the Rockets.
- Notre Dame is undefeated against the Rockets as they lead the overall series 6-0.
- Notre Dame last faced Toledo on August 25, 2018 in the Golden Dome Invitational hosted at Notre Dame as the Irish took home the sweep 25-17, 25-14, 25-22.
- The Irish have swept the Rockets in five of their six matches, with just one set going into five in 2001. Notre Dame won in five on the road, taking down the Rockets 29-31, 30-25, 30-17, 27-30, 15-11.
MEET THE TRANSFERS
- Two transfers join the Irish for the 2023 season. Sydney Palazzolo enters into her…