COLUMBIA, Mo. – University of Missouri Volleyball sophomore libero Maya Sands was named the SEC Defensive Player of the Week, the league announced Monday.
Sands led Mizzou defensively with 46 digs (5.75 digs/set) as the Tigers extended their winning streak to four matches with victories over Texas A&M and #24 Auburn.
The Rock Falls, Illinois, native, registered a pair of identical stat lines of 23 digs, three assists and an ace in each of this week’s matches against both Texas A&M (Nov. 10) and #24 Auburn (Nov. 12).
Sands has registered 20 digs in 14 matches this season including 10 of the last 15 matches. She has posted double-figures digs in every match this season.
She ranks first in the league with 480 digs (36th in the NCAA) and 4.85 digs per set (30th in the NCAA). In conference play, Sands paces the SEC with 295 digs (5.09 digs/set).
Sands is also ninth in the SEC with 0.32 aces per set (32 aces).
The SEC weekly honor marks the second for Sands at Mizzou and is the fifth conference weekly honor in her career (three Mountain West Player of the Week awards).
Missouri heads into its final home match of the campaign, ranked 29th for RPI (rating percentage index).
- Missouri completes its final homestand at the Hearnes Center, hosting #20 Florida on Friday. First serve is set for 6:30 p.m., CT at the Hearnes Center.
- Friday is Senior Night as Mizzou will recognize Dilara Gedikoglu and Lauren Forbes following the match.
- Friday is also Friendsgiving and fans in attendance can receive a Mizzou Scarf, while supplies last, along with post-match autographs.
- Following the match, Mizzou will trek to Lexington, Kentucky, for a matchup with #12 Kentucky on Sunday. First serve is 12:30 p.m., CT.
- Both matches will be broadcasted on SEC Network+.
FOLLOW THE TIGERS