TALLAHASSEE, FLA. – South Carolina beach volleyball split the opening day of the regular season on Saturday, sweeping No. 13 Cal Poly (0-2) but losing to No. 16 FIU (2-1) in the afternoon, 4-1. The Gamecocks’ (1-1) were led by two wins from freshman Jolie Cranford and sophomore Lauren Wilcock.
In the opening match against the Mustangs, South Carolina jumped out with a strong start, winning the opening set on four courts. Jillian Gleason and Peyton Gray recorded the first win of the dual with a 21-10, 21-16 win on court five with Allison Coens and Hannah Mackenhausen following close behind with a 21-15, 21-12 sweep on court three. Simone Priebe earned her first win as a Gamecock to clinch the team win, teaming with Skylar Allen for a 21-15, 22-20 win on the top court. The team celebrated the 5-0 sweep after a three-set comeback win on court four from Cranford and Wilcock. After losing set one, 21-15, the pair came back for the win. It is South Carolina’s fourth 5-0 sweep ever over a ranked opponent.
The team was unable to carry the momentum into its dual against FIU, which clinched the dual behind sweeps on the top three courts before the Gamecocks got on the board with a 23-21, 21-14 win from Cranford and Wilcock.
For continued updates on the team, follow @GamecockBeachVB on Twitter and Instagram.
The Gamecocks face two more ranked opponents to cap the weekend in Tallahassee. Sunday morning, Carolina faces No. 20 Washington at 9:15 AM before wrapping up the action against the host Seminoles at 2:15 PM.
No. 19 South Carolina 5, No. 13 Cal Poly 0
- Allen/Priebe (SC) def. Lombard/Ferch (CP), 21-15, 22-20
- Crews/Westendorff (SC) def. Naess/Martinez (CP), 21-16, 22-20
- Coens/Mackenhausen (SC) def. Warren/Peranich (CP), 21-15, 21-12
- Cranford/Wilcock (SC) def. Graff/Zuffelato (CP), 15-21, 21-18, 15-12
- Gleason/Gray (SC) def. Foreman/Smith (CP), 21-10, 21-16
Order of Finish: 5,3,1*,2,4
No. 16 FIU 4, No. 19 South Carolina 1
- Ribiero/Pokorna (FIU) def. Allen/Priebe (SC), 21-14, 21-18
- Bianchi/Pratesi (FIU) def. Crews/Westendorff (SC), 21-16, 21-19
- Mancinelli/Vukobat (FIU) def. Coens/Mackenhausen (SC), 21-16, 21-18
- Cranford/Wilcock (SC) def. Luini/Meyer (FIU), 23-21, 21-14
- Bielak/Dimitriadas (FIU) def. Gleason/Gray (SC), 17-21, 21-19, 15-12
Order of Finish: 2,3,1*,4,5
Click Here to Read the Full Original Article at Beach Volleyball – University of South Carolina Athletics…