Photo by scotteyrephotography.com
HARRISONBURG, Va. – After a few matches on the road, the EMU men’s volleyball team returned home Saturday, taking on Roanoke and and Hood.
The Royals brought out the brooms twice, picking up a 3-0 (25-19, 25-15, 25-20) win over Roanoke and following that up with a 3-0 (25-13, 25-17, 25-18) win over Hood.
EMU vs Roanoke
Records: EMU 6-6, 0-0 CVC | Roanoke 5-7, 0-1 CVC
- The Royals jumped out to an 11-4 lead in the first set, and later went on a 7-2 run to put the set out of reach. Kills from AJ Bagby and Walter Spurlock put EMU ahead 1-0.
- With things tied at seven in the second, the Royals went on another run, this time 9-2, to take a big lead over the Maroons. A pair of Nate McGhee kills put the finishing touches on the set, giving EMU a 2-0 lead.
- The Royals took an eight-point lead to start the third set before a 10-4 Roanoke run cut the EMU lead to two. But EMU scored three of the next four to pull back ahead. The Maroons were able to pull within one, 20-19, but EMU scored five of the next six points, with Ben Childers picking up a kill to finish the match.
McGhee – 14 kills, 10 digs
Tyler Oaks – 39 assists, 5 digs
Childers – 11 kills, 4 blocks
EMU vs Hood College
Records: EMU 7-6, 0-0 CVC | Hood College 1-9, 0-0 MAC
- EMU started the match on a 5-2 tilt and was able to push the lead to 10-5 with a block from Oaks and Childers. With the Blazers trailing by just six, EMU went on a 6-2 run to extend their lead to 10. Hood picked up two straight but EMU closed out the set, picking up five of the next six points.
- The Royals, once again, jumped out to an early lead, this time 10-4. Hood was able to claw back in, pulling with in two at 16-14, before EMU went on big run, 6-0, taking a 22-14 lead. Hood scored three of the next four but a McGhee kill and an attack error put the Royals up 2-0.
- This time it was Hood that pulled ahead early, going up 7-6, before EMU rallied with four straight to take the lead. Hood stayed close, keeping things with 3-4, before the Royals scored three straight to go up 23-16. Hood picked up two more points but a kill from David Ward ended the match, giving EMU the sweep.
Ward – 10 kills, 6 digs
Oaks – 28 assists, 4 digs, 3 blocks
McGhee & Spurlock – 6 kills apiece
Team – 14 service aces
EMU will continue their…
Click Here to Read the Full Original Article at headlines-featured…